[mythtv-users] knoppmyth console window "vertical hold" trouble

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Fri Jul 9 18:11:34 EDT 2004

Matt Morgan wrote:

> After struggling a little bit with a Mandrake MythTV install, I
> decided to give knoppmyth a go and found it much easier. I guess
> that's the idea :-).
> Seems to have installed OK but I can't really get it to do anything
> but show me the weather (which is pretty cool all by itself!). Maybe I
> just don't know what I'm doing, though.
> My setup: Knoppmyth installed as front and backend; NVIDIA GeForce2
> MX440 w/ TV-out, Hauppauge PVR250. I installed the "nvidia" driver via
> the install-nvidia.sh script and that went well.
> Some things that clearly are not right, that I'd love some help on,
> follow:
> 1) "Fullscreen" is not quite full screen; there's a black border of
> noticeable size on all four sides. Anything I can do about that? My TV
> is an older Sony Trinitron, maybe 10 years old. When it displays
> regular TV there is no border.

nvtv.sf.net

> 2) The picture is not rectangular. The sides are wiggly and tilted in
> toward the top. The top and bottom edges are pretty straight, though.

Probably has to do with your TV...  You'll also want to insure you're
using the correct frequency out...

> 3) The MythTV screen looks great but all the text screens
> (ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f2, ...) display with a vertical-hold-like
> problem. Reminds me of the black-and-white TV I had growing up, except
> in this case it flips by at a slight diagonal, not straight up, and
> there's no little knob I can use to fix it.
> 4) No program data. I signed up for a Zap2It.com DataDirect account,
> but nothing about the KnoppMyth setup asked me for that info. How do I
> do set that up?

mythtv-setup

> 5) When I go to watch LiveTV, I get a message that all of mythtv's
> inputs are being used. It suggests I go to "schedule a recording" to
> set up a recording to watch. So I tried it but there was nothing in
> the program guide (see #4, above) and the page to set up a recording
> wouldn't let me set the "channel" field to anything. What do I need to
> do here?

mythtv-setup

> And a questions about something I only assume is not working yet:
> 6) Knoppmyth got lirc working right at least part way; my Hauppauge
> remote seems to function OK (still getting used to it). What about my
> Actisys IR blaster, for changing channels on my Scientific Atlanta
> Explorer 2200? Do I have to run through this HOW-TO:
> http://members.cox.net/rwraithr/IRBlaster_Howto.txt
> Or does Knoppmyth do that for me? It didn't seem to, although I don't
> know, since I haven't been able to get to anywhere I can change
> channels in the first place.

The only remote that is supported out the box is the Hauppauge.  Compile
LIRC the way one normally would...

> THANKS!!!

You're welcome.  You'll also want to browse the KnoppMyth forum.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/index.php

Cecil