[mythtv-users] knoppmyth console window "vertical hold" trouble

Matt Morgan matt at jiffycomp.com
Fri Jul 9 22:35:49 EDT 2004

Cecil Watson wrote:

> Matt Morgan wrote:
>
>> 1) "Fullscreen" is not quite full screen; there's a black border of
>> noticeable size on all four sides. Anything I can do about that? My
>> TV is an older Sony Trinitron, maybe 10 years old. When it displays
>> regular TV there is no border.
>
> nvtv.sf.net
>
>> 2) The picture is not rectangular. The sides are wiggly and tilted in
>> toward the top. The top and bottom edges are pretty straight, though.
>
> Probably has to do with your TV...  You'll also want to insure you're
> using the correct frequency out...
>
>> 3) The MythTV screen looks great but all the text screens
>> (ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f2, ...) display with a vertical-hold-like
>> problem. Reminds me of the black-and-white TV I had growing up,
>> except in this case it flips by at a slight diagonal, not straight
>> up, and there's no little knob I can use to fix it.
>> 4) No program data. I signed up for a Zap2It.com DataDirect account,
>> but nothing about the KnoppMyth setup asked me for that info. How do
>> I do set that up?
>
> mythtv-setup
>
>> 5) When I go to watch LiveTV, I get a message that all of mythtv's
>> inputs are being used. It suggests I go to "schedule a recording" to
>> set up a recording to watch. So I tried it but there was nothing in
>> the program guide (see #4, above) and the page to set up a recording
>> wouldn't let me set the "channel" field to anything. What do I need
>> to do here?
>
> mythtv-setup
>
>> 6) Knoppmyth got lirc working right at least part way; my Hauppauge
>> remote seems to function OK (still getting used to it). What about my
>> Actisys IR blaster, for changing channels on my Scientific Atlanta
>> Explorer 2200? Do I have to run through this HOW-TO:
>> http://members.cox.net/rwraithr/IRBlaster_Howto.txt
>
> The only remote that is supported out the box is the Hauppauge.
> Compile LIRC the way one normally would...
>
>> THANKS!!!
>
> You're welcome.  You'll also want to browse the KnoppMyth forum.
> http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/index.php
>
> Cecil

Cecil, thanks for the tips and the pointer to the KnoppMyth forum! I
don't quite know how I missed that.

Can anyone provide two clarifications? First, nvtv.sf.net (in Cecil's
response to my question #1) does not seem to exist. I know of
ivtv.sf.net, but I don't see how that helps me, so if you can provide
more detail I'd be very grateful. Second, regarding Cecil's response to
question 2, how do I know what frequency to use and how do I change it?
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I really know nothing about
televisions.

Thanks again,
Matt