[mythtv-users] Questions about themes and scaleing

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Jul 8 13:48:27 EDT 2004

Corey Woodworth wrote:

> I'm still thinking about designing my own Myth Theme. It possibly will
> be a derivative of Gentoo's Lila. I have a couple questions about
> themes and the theme engine though.
>
> 1. What is that "Pre-Scaling Images" message I see everytime
> mythfrontend starts? Just how many kb or mb of images are being
> scaled? Would it be possible to get scale the images once in myth
> setup and then save them on the hard drive so they never have to be
> pre-scaled again? My boot time is already kind of ridiculous and
> eliminating the pre-scaling would take out a big chunk. I don't mind
> sacrifing a bit of HD space for the images.

All measurements in Myth are based on an 800x600 resolution.  Your
images must be scaled to match your current resolution if it's not
800x600.  However this only happens when the resolution changes, or in a
handful of special circumstances, most of the time they get scaled then
cached.

> 2. The lila theme I plan to use as a starting point for my theme is
> 95% SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) images. Does myth support SVG at all?

No

> If not I think it really really should becuase SVG is an amazing
> format that eliminates the pixels size of images and replaces them
> with relative sizes.

We look forward to your patch. ;)

> 3. I would really love to do some subtle 3D pre-rendered animations as
> backgrounds. I think they would just look gorgeous. I know in X it is
> possible to set the root window as a repeating movie. I also realize
> that mythfrontend is a program that runs atop of the root window, but
> the idea is the same. Is such an effect currently possible in myth?

No