[mythtv-users] Questions about themes and scaleing

Corey Woodworth cdwom at mpinet.net
Thu Jul 8 13:33:42 EDT 2004

I'm still thinking about designing my own Myth Theme. It possibly will
be a derivative of Gentoo's Lila. I have a couple questions about themes
and the theme engine though.

1. What is that "Pre-Scaling Images" message I see everytime
mythfrontend starts? Just how many kb or mb of images are being scaled?
Would it be possible to get scale the images once in myth setup and then
save them on the hard drive so they never have to be pre-scaled again?
My boot time is already kind of ridiculous and eliminating the
pre-scaling would take out a big chunk. I don't mind sacrifing a bit of
HD space for the images.

2. The lila theme I plan to use as a starting point for my theme is 95%
SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) images. Does myth support SVG at all? If
not I think it really really should becuase SVG is an amazing format
that eliminates the pixels size of images and replaces them with
relative sizes. This means no matter what resolution display an image is
displayed on, it'll always take up the same chunk of the screen. So on
ultra high resolutions, images won't become so small they're impossible
to see but rather they will scale up and just look beatifully detailed.
On the other end of the spectrum, when the same image is shown on low
resolutions such as analogue TV displays, the image doesn't looked
extremly zoomed in and bleed off the display. On those analogue displays
it takes up the same amount of on-screen real estate but just look a
little more pixleated. This is all done on the fly as well so it may be
one possible solution to eliminating those pre-scaling image times.

3. I would really love to do some subtle 3D pre-rendered animations as
backgrounds. I think they would just look gorgeous. I know in X it is
possible to set the root window as a repeating movie. I also realize
that mythfrontend is a program that runs atop of the root window, but
the idea is the same. Is such an effect currently possible in myth?

Thanks in advance,
Corey