[mythtv-users] New nVidia driver

Harri Hautakangas harri at hautakangas.com
Sat Jul 3 16:43:08 EDT 2004

Harri Hautakangas wrote:

> I am using Geforce4 mx. Svideo out works great, actually better than
> before. I only have output to TV-out, and before when I exited X back
> to commandline my monitor would not turn back on. So I had to
> reboot blind, but with the new drivers it turns back on.
>
> My NTSC modeline that I picked up, I think from Jarod, refused to work.
> Everything worked fine without it at 800x600, and at first I thought
> everything is ok, but...
> I notice some "tearing" during some fast movement, a lot less than
> with the old Nvidia drivers and kerneldeint OFF, but still some tearing.
> Do you need to turn the interlacing on using a modeline (or where else
> would you insert the command in XF86Config), or do the drivers turn it on
> automatically when using tv-out ?
> Otherwise the picture looks great. The nvidia-settings thingy is
> awesome. I noticed that experimental a/v sync and jtter reduction seem
> to work, because
> without them CNN ticker does not look good, but with them on it
> smooths out after about 10-15 seconds.

I am answering myself by quoting BJM from the Dev list:

That's correct. The fix is to output VGA 'interlaced' modes for
monitors that support then and has nothing to do with scaled
playback of video recorded from an 'interlaced' source.

There are two kinds of people who were looking forward to the fix;
people with HDTVs with SVGA or component inputs who want to use
the interlaced modes (ex. 1080i) for their TVs, and people who
jumped to the conclusion that somehow their video playback would
be free of any interlacing artifacts.

I've seen many confused assumptions over the past few months in
several posting by the later group. In fact, I think I've seen a
couple postings already from people proudly proclaiming that their
video playback seems to be significantly better with the new driver.
The power of the placebo effects is amazing ;-).

-- bjm