[mythtv-users] OT: wireless 802.11g pci suggestions

Travis Kelley rhatguy at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 04:37:38 EDT 2004

ff/rw MIGHT be a tab slower than directly on the backend machine but
only if you were really looking for it.  I can't tell a difference at
all in normal usage.  Probably the added ping time in going through the
wireless rather than just across the bus on the backend would account
for the lag.  I don't think turbo mode is currently possible though.  I
think they are more focused on getting cards working than getting cards
working faster...plus there are so many flavors of turbo out there if
they get it working for one card it will only help a subset of the
people who use madwifi.  That said I'm sure they would also welcome any
help:)

This brings me to my next point....why do people mount the server
filesystem on the remote frontend?  I don't mount my filesystem and when
I play stuff on the remote frontend it plays a url like this:
Input #0, mpeg, from
'myth://10.1.10.1:6543/1004_20040701230000_20040701233000.nuv':
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 480x480, 29.97 fps
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s

I never mount the server up at all.