[mythtv-users] OT: Why are people using Outlook etc.

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 14:13:28 EDT 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 12:49, Dan Morphis wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 July 2004 09:38, Cotter, Paul M. wrote:
> >> People use them because that's their company standard and they're
> >> using the company computers.
> >>
> >> That's my reason anyway.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> > And I suppose top-posting is company standard as well? :-)
> >
> > I have yet to encounter a corporate environment where I wasn't able
> > to install, configure & use my own mail client and browser if I
> > wanted to. Heck, unless you have absolutely *no* write access, you
>
> I did contract work for just such a place.  I'll put it to you like
> this . . .  You felt damn blessed that they actually let you use the
> internet.  I was able to install firefox, that worked fine.  However,
> they blocked outgoing telnet/ftp/mail/ssh/just about everything else.
>
> It wasn't until a month or so after the contract ended that I found
> MailBridge ("A HTTP tunnel for POP and SMTP access via a proxy."
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailbridge/)

Yes, I used to work for such a company as well.  Pretty much all
well-known ports were blocked.  I ended up changing my ssh server at
home to listen on a non-standard port (a high number they hadn't
blocked), and I was back in business.

There's almost *always* a way.  USB keychain drives are handy, too, for
when you don't have write access.

-JAC