[mythtv-users] OT: Why are people using Outlook etc.

Dan Morphis dan at milkcarton.com
Thu Jul 1 12:49:35 EDT 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Thursday 01 July 2004 09:38, Cotter, Paul M. wrote:
>
>> People use them because that's their company standard and they're
>> using the company computers.
>>
>> That's my reason anyway.
>>
>> Paul
>

> And I suppose top-posting is company standard as well? :-)
>
> I have yet to encounter a corporate environment where I wasn't able
> to install, configure & use my own mail client and browser if I
> wanted to. Heck, unless you have absolutely *no* write access, you
I did contract work for just such a place.  I'll put it to you like this
. . .  You felt damn blessed that they actually let you use the
internet.  I was able to install firefox, that worked fine.  However,
they blocked outgoing telnet/ftp/mail/ssh/just about everything else.

It wasn't until a month or so after the contract ended that I found
MailBridge ("A HTTP tunnel for POP and SMTP access via a proxy."
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailbridge/)

-dan