[mythtv-users] OT: Why are people using Outlook etc. (was: Can't get remote control to work right)

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jul 1 10:54:16 EDT 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

>On Thursday 01 July 2004 09:38, Cotter, Paul M. wrote:
>

>>People use them because that's their company standard and they're
>>using the company computers.
>>
>>That's my reason anyway.
>>
>>Paul
>>

>And I suppose top-posting is company standard as well? :-)
>
>I have yet to encounter a corporate environment where I wasn't able to
>install, configure & use my own mail client and browser if I wanted to.
>Heck, unless you have absolutely *no* write access, you can always
>install some Mozilla variant, and it will work with the same proxy &
>mail configuration that Outlook uses.  AFAIK most of the Mozilla
>software installs into a single directory (i.e., no system DLLs are
>changed), so you don't need admin privileges on NT/2000/XP and
>uninstalling is as simple as deleting the directory if you're in a
>hurry.
>
>That said, I'm sure there are cases where it's just not doable, but
>those cases, in my experience, are far fewer than most people think.

Works fine for email but doesn't cut it for the Calendaring, Tasks,
Public Folders and other "groupware" features that Outlook provides both
in a home environment as well as a company that uses Exchange.  I could
be running Thunderbird right now at work but I would lose a good chunk
of the functionality utilized here.

Kevin