[mythtv-users] OT: Why are people using Outlook etc. (was: Can't get remote control to work right)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 10:33:05 EDT 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 09:38, Cotter, Paul M. wrote:
> People use them because that's their company standard and they're
> using the company computers.
>
> That's my reason anyway.
>
> Paul

And I suppose top-posting is company standard as well? :-)

I have yet to encounter a corporate environment where I wasn't able to
install, configure & use my own mail client and browser if I wanted to.
Heck, unless you have absolutely *no* write access, you can always
install some Mozilla variant, and it will work with the same proxy &
mail configuration that Outlook uses.  AFAIK most of the Mozilla
software installs into a single directory (i.e., no system DLLs are
changed), so you don't need admin privileges on NT/2000/XP and
uninstalling is as simple as deleting the directory if you're in a
hurry.

That said, I'm sure there are cases where it's just not doable, but
those cases, in my experience, are far fewer than most people think.

-JAC