[mythtv-users] Looking for Myth Backend troubleshooting tips

Romel Llarena rdllarena at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 12:03:18 EST 2004

I just completed my Myth .13 backend/frontend
configuration over wired ethernet 10/100 hub based
home LAN. The backend sits in one private network (my
DMZ for MythWeb) and my remote frontend sits in my
internal home network.

It took a few days to get everything right but when it
ran, IMPRESSIVE.

Unfortunately, I'm running into issues where the
remote frontend loses connection with the backend.
Furthermore, the mythfrontend on the same machine as
the backend loses connection at times with itself!?!?!
 A reboot is required to get everything up and running
again.

I've been at this a few days and here are my
observations:

1. Backend only dies when watching an already recorded
show. So far live TV works fine except for a few
pauses/hiccups.
2. I mentioned to a friend of mine that the backend
dies at the worst possible times, right when the
action and music kicks up a notch. He thought it could
relate to the bitrate increasing?
3. Both networks cross a firewall. I'm wondering if
it's firewall related. My test will be to move the
frontend over to the DMZ and playing a recording.
3. Running MythWeb also seems to bring the backend
server down as well.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks?

Thanks!