[mythtv-users] Myth in 20 hours!

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 29 00:57:56 EST 2004

On Jan 28, 2004, at 18:18, Jack R Hyde wrote:

> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 00:55, Jeff Blair wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if I could get MythTV to compile on my Opteron system, I could
>>> get
>>> it from a blank HD to a working system in about 4 hours.  It takes me
>>> about 3 hours to get it up and booting.  I love that thing.  :)
>>
>> I'm new to Gentoo, so I must be doing something wrong. I decided to
>> start in on a stage1 install on my dual Athlon MP 2000+ system
>> (w/1.5GB of RAM, 4x36GB U160 10k rpm HW RAID-0 array). It just took
>> about two hours to move from stage1 to stage2. I just started 2->3...
>>
>> Or do I just have no clue how fast an Opteron really is? Also, is
>> that a dual-proc system? And what all does "up and booting" consist
>> of? (i.e., do you have X, a desktop environment, etc., or just the
>> bare essentials to boot?).
>
> Opteron's are quite a bit faster, but not as fast as these results
> would lead you to believe. Anybody building gentoo on an Opteron is
> using the newest live cd's, which have an updated bootstrap.sh script
> that no longer requires glibc, gcc, etc to be built twice.

Ah, that makes slightly more sense then.

> Yes, thats right, older gentoo boot straps actually built quite a few
> things twice.

Well, I'm not *that* new. I knew that. I've read the handbook (and
several other Gentoo docs) several times over. (I always RTFM!). I've
got a Hush PC (EPIA M10000) up and running (mostly -- haven't finished
the mpeg decoder stuff yet, no time), a dual PIII-733 and now my dual
Athlon (w/the 2.6.1 gentoo-dev-sources kernel). The freakin' dpt_i2o
driver for my Adaptec SCSI RAID card cost me quite a bit of time
because I didn't google on it earlier (its broke as hell, has been for
quite some time, but still in the kernel source tree with no warning
for some stupid reason, and the fix is to use i2o_scsi instead of
dpt_i2o)...

Anyhow, enough ranting. Well, maybe a bit more.... I certainly do like
the optimization and speed of Gentoo, and setting it up is pretty fun
(in a VERY geeky way, guilty as charged), but a royal PITA if you want
lots of boxes, and/or need to reinstall (I'm still a Red Hat loyalist
when it comes to critical systems ;-).

> So yes, the opteron is quite the speedy chip, but it's not near 2x as
> fast =)

Yeah, if I didn't have to compile the compiler twice, I'd have cut an
hour off my time, then the numbers start to make more sense, assuming
his Opteron is a dual.

> Just finished my new mythtv box  (overature case) in an antec overture
> case with a amd64 3200+. Pretty sweet little rig. Too bad mythtv
> doesn't compile yet on amd 64. First you have the gcc bug, then you
> have the non native assembler code apparently.

Uh, so why use all that power on a system that isn't even possible
right now?!? Preparing for the future and 2nd-gen 4000x3000p HDTV? ;-p

I've looked at the Overture quite a bit lately, and its just too damned
deep for my taste (and space). I like that it takes a full ATX, but I
think I'd rather go with the new CoolerMaster that takes the same (and
its all black, instead of that silver junk mixed in)... My secondary
system is in a plain-jane InWin case that I'd like to replace with
something less beige. Perhaps I get the new CoolerMaster, a new ATX
nForce2 mobo and move the current primary upstairs... (thinkin' out
loud :-).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...