[mythtv-users] Myth in 20 hours!

Jack R Hyde jr at jrh.net
Wed Jan 28 21:18:18 EST 2004

Comments interspaced below:

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 January 2004 00:55, Jeff Blair wrote:
>

>>Well, if I could get MythTV to compile on my Opteron system, I could get
>>it from a blank HD to a working system in about 4 hours.  It takes me
>>about 3 hours to get it up and booting.  I love that thing.  :)
>>

>I'm new to Gentoo, so I must be doing something wrong. I decided to start in
>on a stage1 install on my dual Athlon MP 2000+ system (w/1.5GB of RAM, 4x36GB
>U160 10k rpm HW RAID-0 array). It just took about two hours to move from
>stage1 to stage2. I just started 2->3...
>
>Or do I just have no clue how fast an Opteron really is? Also, is that a
>dual-proc system? And what all does "up and booting" consist of? (i.e., do
>you have X, a desktop environment, etc., or just the bare essentials to
>boot?).
>
>- --jarod

Opteron's are quite a bit faster, but not as fast as these results would
lead you to believe. Anybody building gentoo on an Opteron is using the
newest live cd's, which have an updated bootstrap.sh script that no
longer requires glibc, gcc, etc to be built twice. Yes, thats right,
older gentoo boot straps actually built quite a few things twice. So
yes, the opteron is quite the speedy chip, but it's not near 2x as fast =)

Just finished my new mythtv box  (overature case) in an antec overture
case with a amd64 3200+. Pretty sweet little rig. Too bad mythtv doesn't
compile yet on amd 64. First you have the gcc bug, then you have the non
native assembler code apparently.