[mythtv-users] Weird video problem

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 27 02:53:38 EST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 22:27, Bruce Markey wrote:

> Philip J. Morrison, Jr. wrote:
>> How exactly did you do this?  I created the system using Jarod's
>> atrpms
>> install and I have rebuilt several times to try to get 0.9.11 to
>> install.  I
>> finally did find both a rpm and tar file for bttv-0.9.11 but it
>> complains
>> about the kernel.  I rolled back the kernel and everything blew up big
>> time...
>> So, is there a fix for this re screen problem like 0.9.13?  Or a way
>> to get
>> 9.11 to install on the latest kernel from apt-get?
>
> Donno if I can help you with that approach. I build kernels
> and some modules like bttv and alsa from source so it's pretty
> much untar, make, make install. The bttv source is available
> from Gerd's website at:
>
> http://bytesex.org/bttv/bttv-0.9.11.tar.gz
>
> He also has a build doc at http://bytesex.org/v4l/build.html

I'm not certain if the v4l2 patches in Axel's kernels are too new to
work with the 0.9.11 bttv driver or not, but to build your own, you'd
definitely need to have the kernel-source rpm corresponding to your
running kernel installed, get the appropriate .config file into
/usr/src/linux-2.4 and go from there. Judging from Axel's bttv.spec
changelog, you may have to patch the bttv 0.9.11 source up for i2c >=
2.8.0 support (which is in Axel's kernels, but compatibility is built
in as of 0.9.12). Outside of the possible conflict w/the latest v4l2
and the patch, compiling your own looks fairly straight-forward (but
ymmv, I haven't tried -- I don't use my bttv card much).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/