[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Mon Jan 26 15:56:02 EST 2004

Brian Johnson said:
> What programs are recommended for someone wanting to convert VCR tapes to
> DVD?
>
> I have a DVD writer and a video capture card that works with video4linux
> drivers .. now I need some apps

Well, if you want to do it through your mythtv box, the capturing part
would probably be fairly easy. You could just run the ouput of your vcr to
the input of your tuner card, and setup a manual recording for the
duration of the vcr tape, and then just play the tape. That would get your
vcr tapes onto the computer without any software other than mythtv itself
required. As for burning it to a dvd, I'm not really sure what the best
way to go would be. The other day though, I was looking at a program
called mkdvd on Freshmeat that I thought might be a promising start for a
plugin to save off shows to dvd. I haven't tried it out yet, but according
to the description, it can convert files to vob format, then write
multiple videos to a dvd and generate a simple dvd menu to select between
them. If it works well, it could be perfect for archiving mythtv shows to
dvd.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mkdvd/?topic_id=127

Shawn Asmussen