[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 26 15:11:26 EST 2004

Quoting Brian Johnson <bjohnson at johnson-engineering.ca>:

> What programs are recommended for someone wanting to convert VCR tapes to
> DVD?
>
> I have a DVD writer and a video capture card that works with video4linux
> drivers .. now I need some apps
Depends on the capture card.

The hardest part is reencoding to MPEG-2, which takes lots of CPU time.

If your card has hardware MPEG-2 encoding (Hauppauge PVR-x50, Avermedia M179,
Yuan MPG600), then it is a simple matter of setting the encoding parameters of
the card to produce valid MPEG for the DVD format.  (MPEG-2, bitrate less than 8
Mbits/sec, resolution one of the following:  720x480, 352x480, 352x240).  Take
the resulting MPEG2 file, remultiplex it (much faster than reencoding), and use
dvdauthor to generate a valid DVD file structure.

If you go through the archives, I posted a script that takes a MythTV .nuv file
generated by one of the aforementioned encoder cards and creates a proper DVD
filestructure from it.  Same works if you used record-v4l2.pl from the ivtv
package with a card that uses the ivtv driver.