[mythtv-users] Tuner Card w/ Svideo Inputs & PCI Sound Transfer

Ian Neubert ian at ianneubert.com
Thu Jan 22 21:48:48 EST 2004

Joe Votour wrote:
>Well, it doesn't have analog audio left/right, but the
>Hauppauge WinTV card (model 401) supports S-Video in,
>with a 3.5mm headphone jack input (stereo), and works
>with btaudio (so no connection to a sound card is
>necessary).

Thanks Joe. Do you have one of these cards? How's the video and audio
quality?

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>Also, I believe not all of the revisions of the WInTV-PCI 401 cards may
>support btaudio.  I don't know if anyone has been able to reliably identify
>cards that will support btaudio; certainly not without examining the chips
on
>the card, and even that is not always a guarantee.

Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning toward using a bunch of the newer PVR-250's
as they don't need a sound card and they have an integrated encoder.

>4 analog tuners?  I hope the OP has an awful lot of spare CPU cycles...

Assuming I get the PVR-250's with onboard MPEG-2 encoders, do you think an
Athlon 2400+ could handle all 4 + a pcHDTV recording at once? In this setup
the CPU shouldn't be doing anything with the video for any of the cards,
just spewing everything to the hard disks. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

www.ianneubert.com