[mythtv-users] What do you do with your Myth box?

Gary Marsh gmarsh at housewarez.net
Thu Jan 22 10:09:06 EST 2004

Even though the TV watching and recording functionality isn't working on
my box yet, it still works incredibly well as a Linux server.

The setup - Athlon XP2000+ with stock cooler, Chaintech 7NIF2, 512MB, 160
gig HD and a DVD drive crammed into an Antec Minuet case. If I was to
build another case, I wouldn't use a Minuet because they've got crazy heat
problems - right now I'm contemplating cramming a cross-flow fan into the
case to get the heat down, because the CPU sits at 60C full-load. Low
profile PCI sucks too - makes me wish I bought a Shuttle cube.

The box is a web/ftp/mail server for my domain. It runs Samba and acts as
a central file dump for me and my roommates.

I've got a PSX controller hooked up via parallel port, and a fairly
substantial connection of NES roms on the box so it acts quite nicely as a
replacement for my broken NES. I've also got a full set of MAME roms, but
I haven't really got into that yet.

I've got a fairly large mp3 collection installed so it acts like a music
box - I'm using MythMusic right now as the music front end. I've got
MythDVD handling the playback of the odd VOB and AVI file on the drive.

Finally, the box runs Folding at Home.

If I get my TV card working, then this box will effectively become the
poster child of Linux. :D

- GM

> This list is usually for those people who are struggling with getting stuff
> to work. I thought of strating a thread for those who have been
successful to find out how you use your mythbox

> I'll start...
>
> My setup: Shuttle AN35N w/ quiet Zalman fan, Athlon 2200 XP, PVR-250,
GeForce 4 MX440, SB Live, 512 ram. Attached to my Toshiba 25" TV. My
case is
> however bulky (Tower :( )
>
> The modules I mainly use are TV, Game and Video
>
> TV - I use for time shifting. The program I watch most are NBA games
(mostly
> Knicks). Right now I have three shows being recorded automatically: Curb
Your Enthusiasm, Real Time w/ Bill Maher, and 60 Minutes. Sometimes I
record
> random interesting stuff too if I'm not home. I must admit MythTV has
made me watch more TV though =)

> Game - I have a ton of roms. This is the more social module that I use
mostly when friends are over. The games I play most often are: Contra,
Bomberman, Dig Dug, Moon Patrol, and Marvel vs. Capcom. I have two
Saitek P220 USB gamepads attached and they work great. If anyone has
some suggestions of games they enjoy, I would love to hear it -- I never
know what to play

> Video - I use it for watching some TV rips that I have on the LAN, along
with some movies rips. Mostly Futurama and Family Guy. And older Ali G
stuff