[mythtv-users] Setting up a solo frontend

Scott Pouliot spouliot at scpsoftware.net
Thu Jan 22 00:09:29 EST 2004

I've got Red Hat 9 up and running (under VMWare, but it works VERY good thus
far), but I'm having a problem running mythtvsetup.  It keeps whining about
not being able to connect to the local mySQL Server.  Which is no
shocker...since it's not installed locally  ;-)

I found a site that told me to edit /usr/local.share/mythtv/mysql.txt and
change the first line to the IP of my backend server.  This file didn't
exist though...so I attempted to create it.  No change.  Is there another
file I need to edit prior to running setup?

Also,  I tried doing the steps mentioned in the Myth docs for setting up
mySQL for multi-user access and it kept yelling at me, then it finally
locked me out.  So are those instructions (see below) correct?  Or did I
miss a step?

$ mysql -u root mythconverg
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.1.%" identified by
"mythtv";