[mythtv-users] [OT] Dell Dimensions (and Poweredge)...

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Jan 17 00:17:30 EST 2004

Veering waaay off-topic, but hey...

On Jan 16, 2004, at 11:33, Kyle Rose wrote:

> David jeske <jeske at chat.net> writes:
>
>>> That seems ridiculously overpriced for that machine.

Not when it has as much memory as I want.

>>> The display is
>>> surely worth a pileful of money

The display is $2k of the tag.

>>> but my dual Opteron is nearly
>> twice
>>> as fast as any dual G5 in existence, and only cost ~$2000.

Now hold on a sec, that depends a whole lot on what you're doing. There
are cases where the G5 is actually faster. And comparably outfitted,
the two rigs really aren't that much different in price.

>> This sounds like you're buying machines in preparation for half-life
>> 2, not for mythtv. :)
>
> LOL... I actually don't play a lot of games, but I buy fast systems
> for compile performance (I write a lot of C++, and reducing compile
> time from 4 hours to 30 minutes is a big deal), and I buy SMP for
> responsiveness.  I use Linux exclusively, so the nice OS X interface
> makes no difference to me.

I'd like a dual Opteron too, but my dual Athlon systems are fast enough
for all the Linux stuff I do. When I have the option, I use Mac OS X on
the desktop. There are just some things much better done on a Mac
(can't think of anything besides gaming that is better on Windows
though ;-).

Therefore, a dual G5 is next on my list, and I really don't care that
much about spending a little more money to get what I really want. Not
much gaming here anymore either, I just like raw power. And lots of
memory. And Mac OS X. But that's just me; to each his own. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/