[mythtv-users] [OT] Dell Dimensions (and Poweredge)...

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Fri Jan 16 14:33:51 EST 2004

David jeske <jeske at chat.net> writes:

>> That seems ridiculously overpriced for that machine. The display is
>> surely worth a pileful of money, but my dual Opteron is nearly
> twice
>> as fast as any dual G5 in existence, and only cost ~$2000.
>
> This sounds like you're buying machines in preparation for half-life
> 2, not for mythtv. :)

LOL... I actually don't play a lot of games, but I buy fast systems
for compile performance (I write a lot of C++, and reducing compile
time from 4 hours to 30 minutes is a big deal), and I buy SMP for
responsiveness.  I use Linux exclusively, so the nice OS X interface
makes no difference to me.

Cheers,
Kyle