[mythtv-users] Requiring a password for mythweb?

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Thu Jan 15 11:23:00 EST 2004

stan wrote:

> I want to be able to access my myttv setup using mythweb from away from
> home.
>
> So, I will need to make the apache isntance visible from outside my
> network. Given this, I don't want general public access to scheduling
> recordings on my system :-) Seems like this would be a common request.
>
> Has anyone managed to get mythweb to rquire, say, a password?

In addition to what others have said about .htaccess, if you know the IP
you'll be coming from I suggest firewalling the web server entirely
except from that one address.  You could also setup SSL to provide some
encryption for your Basic Authentication, since that it clear-text.
This will also help to mitigate any risk associated with having Apache
exposed to the world and may help if your ISP doesn't want to see you
running a server.

Another option is VPN.  IPCop (www.ipcop.org) can provide you with all
the access control you need and it runs wonderfully on throwaway PCs.