[mythtv-users] Couldn't find a matching decoder for: rbuf://...

Ryan Daigle rwdaigle at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 23:59:23 EST 2004

I'm having issues watching live TV.  When I choose Watch TV, all I get is a
blank screen.  I can escape out of mythfrontend and the log statements that
are spit out to the terminal say:

"Couldn't find a matching decoder for:
rbuf://127.0.0.1:6543/media/recording-buffers/ringbuf1.nuv"

I've gone through the appropriate ALSA installation and all seems to be well
with that (I can play sounds and /dev/dsp is never tied up with another user
while myth is running).

All devices (/dev/dsp, /dev/video0) are owned by mythtv as is the
recording-buffers directory.

My mythbackend.log has no error messages, just the usual:

"adding: noel.ryandaigle.com as a remote ringbuffer
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV"

I have a PVR-250 and am using a Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value.

Watching a recording works just fine, but live TV just shows a blank screen.

I have a suspicion that changing my hostname halfway through the
configuration process may have mucked some stuff up, is this possible?
Where does it try to map the URL to a decoder?

Please help!

Ryan Daigle
Manager of Development
Health Decisions, Inc.