[mythtv-users] Antec Overture CPU fan

Preston Crow pc-mythtv at crowcastle.net
Mon Jan 12 12:30:31 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 12:02, Bborie Park wrote:
> for a case that size, I'd go for a zalman.  Though you can go fanless
> with the thermalright, your cpu will probably be floating in the 50
> degree celsius range and that would be with decent airflow in the case.
>
> Get a zalman and place it in quiet mode, which has a noise level of
> about 20-25 dba.  The only concern with the zalmans is the height of
> case/mobo in relation to the heatsink

I have that case, and I'm using a KCZ-2700 Nexus fan.  I found it at
endpcnoise.com, though I bought it somewhere else at a slightly lower
price, thanks to froogle.com.  After an uptime of several days, I
rebooted into the BIOS setup, where it reported a CPU temperature of 51C
for my AMD 2500+ (which supposedly has a limit of 85C).

What is a reasonable range?

On a related note, how do I check the temperature from Linux?  Is there
some sort of monitoring deamon that I can run that will do an emergency
shutdown if there's a problem?  (It would be easy enough to have a cron
job script if there's not a standard solution.)

--PC