[mythtv-users] Mandrake 9.2 - Picture - No Sound

pk pauli at zbzoom.net
Sat Jan 10 14:42:38 EST 2004

Mike,
I think what happened was that when VIDIOC_S_CTRL was first set, it was
set to an incorrect value for your card by something....thus the
inappropriate ioctl message.  I have to be careful because I have a
Freestyle 250 on /dev/video0 and winfast 2000xp on /dev/video1.  xawtv
will default to /dev/video0 and I've found that using xawtv without the
-c option to specify my bttv card will sometimes try to set values on
the incorrect card.

According to /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl
VIDIOC_S_CTRL can be set with the -y flag
  -y --set-ctrl=[ctrl]=<val>
                     sets the control to the value specified
[VIDIOC_S_CTRL]
     ctrl:
      brightness     =<#> Picture brightness, or more precisely, the
black level. [0 - 255]
      hue            =<#> Hue or color balance. [-128 - 127]
      saturation     =<#> Picture color saturation or chroma gain. [0 -
127]
      contrast       =<#> Picture contrast or luma gain. [0 - 127]
      volume         =<#> Overall audio volume. [0 - 65535]
      mute           =<#> Mute audio, i. e. set the volume to zero
[boolean]

You can see the values set by this flag above.  I bet mythtv set this
(either the volume or the mute value) for you when you were in the
settings area....Bottom line is Tony is right.

The only part I'm not sure about is the mute flag.  I'm setting up a
second tuner and I had to set mute=1 for sound to work properly.
Setting mute=0 muted the sound in my testing.  Tony had recommended
mute=0 earlier.

....if it's workin...you're set.  If someone else comes into this
problem (and actually searches this list for the answer), try your
mileage with the mute option -y for test_ioctl.  To see how your card is
set, you can do a
$/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -Y
and it will print your control settings.

Enjoy,
pk

PS.  This is my first post to the mythtv list.  Props to the development
team and for a job well done!  This project has been my motivation for
learning Linux.  ...and a big Thank You to Jarod Wilson for his helpful
setup-guide.