[mythtv-users] 2 video capture card questions

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 8 01:41:19 EST 2004

On Jan 7, 2004, at 19:14, Gerald Gryschuk wrote:

> Surely though there are video capture cards with Firewire ports?

None that interact with MythTV. MythTV isn't set up to do anything with
firewire sources to date (that I'm aware of).

> The
> Motorola DCT 5100 HDTV set top box has an optional Firewire port so
> rather than record over 3 component video maybe I can do Firewire. Any
> suggestions?

Not gonna happen either. Yes, the DCT-5100 has a firewire port, but it
typically is disabled by the firmware the cable company will stick on
the box. Almost all the interesting ports on my DCT-5100 (ethernet,
firewire, usb) are disabled. Yes, you could hack the box, but they can
just push down a new firmware at any time. Perhaps you could get around
that by purchasing your own box and using it with their service, but
there still isn't any way I'm aware of to do anything useful in MythTV
with that firewire port. Maybe you'll figure out a way to pipe HD
streams to the hard drive and be able to play them back with Xine or
something, but don't plan on the process being anywhere near
straight-forward as using MythTV...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...