[mythtv-users] recorded shows

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Sun Jan 4 20:43:40 EST 2004

> You do realize that all your arguments are moot as soon as you move to
> non broadcast -- pay services
> You may be able to record cbs nbc and other tv channels but not off
> cable or direct tv .. Especially PPV HBO MAX etc...

I can imagine that "premium" cable channels like HBO might get you into a
murkier area, but I would suspect that any "free" cable broadcasts would
be treated in the courts just like over-the-air broadcasts.  You pay the
cable company for the service of providing the channels, not for the
programming itself (you "pay" for programming by tolerating the
commercials), except for channels like HBO or pay-per-view stuff.

The fact that cable companies are distributing PVRs now as an add-on
service would tend to severely dilute any claim that they might have to
disallow recordings...

While it may not be specifically spelled out in the various laws and
decisions on the subject that recording cable shows is legal, neither is
anywhere specified as illegal.  Generally, in U.S. law, if it's not
specifically forbidden, it's allowed.

> All I have been saying is Fair use does not apply to all of us nor to
> all channels. I believe just TV you get off an antenna.

That's not what you said in your first post on the subject, though:

"Yes if you want to be completely accurate it is against copyright law to
make any copy of any show, movie, etc...  Just saving it to a vcr or myth
tv box is illegal."

I think this blanket statement is what compelled so many of us to try to
correct you.