[mythtv-users] recorded shows

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 16:35:53 EST 2004

Hello all! I recently joined the list because I am getting ready to build a
MythTV box (PVR-350, and box to put it in are being shipped currently).

For the record, simply recording a TV show to a VCR is most definitely NOT
illegal. At least not here in the United States. Walt Disney and Universal
studios TRIED to make the VCR illegal, however a 1984 Supreme Court ruling
found that recording of television programs for private use, and for time
shifting falls under the 'fair use' exception to copyright law. Here is a
link with more info on that subject:

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id353.htm

That being said, the sharing of those shows online is another matter
entirely, and in most cases probably is illegal, although IANAL.

Shawn Asmussen