[mythtv-users] mythtv on video projector

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Thu Jan 1 23:20:52 EST 2004

I have a 1024x768 res projector.  I run X at 1024x576.  For DVD's
800x450 (800x600 in 16:9) you loose some quality, not enough to notice.
HDTV is more noticible.  My projector had both a 800x600 and 1024x768
model.  I paid $1k more for the extra res because it makes a good
difference for HD.  (Still nothing like the 1440x720 projectors, but
there are no good DLP projectors that do this just yet).  If you're
budgeting, wait for something that does 1440x720.  It will make your
life simplier and better.  (no need to scale most HD content, except
1080i, but that's worth scaling since it's really 1920x540).  If you
want to wait for DLP in 1440x720 then doso, otherwise LCD works well if
you're not sitting close (But seeing 1440x720 requires you to be a bit
close)

The best thing to do is to compare which looks best at the highest res
(basically HDTV) if 800x600 looks fine and you want to save $$ then do
that.  S video is easier to work with at times (I run dual head and
can't run DVI because nvidia's still DVI unfriendly in linux).

For me, 1024x576 looks very nice for HD, I run mplayer and other
algorithms and so upscaling DVD's looks better on 1024x576, It's more
usable as a desktop when I need it to be (Big plus there).  And it was
worth the extra money for me, but may not be to others.  One thing to
consider is there are some good $1k projectors doing 1024x768.  They're
not the best for picture (compared to $5k ones) but they work well
enough for when we can get DLP projectors doing 1440x720.

As for what res myth works best at, I've used it from 640x480 up to
1920x1080P and it always works well.  Make sure you have a P4 2.6+ if
you're going to watch HDTV.  My athlon is maxed out, but now since I
transcode all HDTV to 1024x576 in mpeg4 it works just fine, and live-tv
is still fine (De-interlacing has to be off, but some optimization in
the future will fix/improve this)

Overall, get which projector works best for you.  Also, it is easier to
be happy you got what's better, then buy what's not better and wish you
did. :-/  (I've wondered if I should have gotten a 1440x720 LCD, but I
like the blacks in DLP more, for 90% of people I recommend LCD.

--Brandon