[mythtv-users] Slow-down between v0.13 and 0.14?

jdpotter at excite.com jdpotter at excite.com
Sun Feb 29 00:12:28 EST 2004

My first post here; apologies if answered elsewhere:

I upgraded from MythTV 0.13 to 0.14 and I'm noticing a reduction in playback capacity.  On v0.13, I was able to record and view at 480x480 in MPEG2-PS on my (minimally compliant) system: Pentium III-500, Hauppauge PVR250, 224MB RAM, SE440BX motherboard, GeForce4 MX400 with TV-out.  CPU usage was maybe 10% when only recording, 90% when viewing live TV, maybe 80% when playing a recording.  My bitrates, as I remember, where 2400 min, 4800 max for video, 224kbps for Audio (48kHz sampling).

Now with v0.14 on the same machine, I can still view live TV at 480x480 or less, and can start recording and continue to view, with the CPU at 90% or less.  If I try to view a recording with the same settings as above, after it has finished, the CPU pegs at 100%, and I drop frames badly (regularly maybe once a second or two, with audio dropouts).  This choppiness even occurs when I start a recording while watching live TV, quit watching live (while recording continues), and go back to Watch Recording.  If I start up KSysGuard, I notice two threads of mythfrontend running, each with 30-45% of the CPU load while the choppiness occurs (but nowhere near this bad while watching live TV).

The only settings I've gotten to work without choppiness are recording at 400x480, 1600 min - 4000 max, which gives lower quality than before.

So, is there a problem with 0.14?  I compiled both 0.13 and 0.14 from source (I'm running Mandrake 9.2 with all its standard libs); did I leave some settings poorly set?  How do I attempt to fix?  Or are there settings within MythTV I may have screwed up?  Most everything remained at the old settings after I installed 0.14 and tried it the first time.

I have also upgraded IVTV from 0.1.7 to 0.1.9, and xmltv to 0.5.29.  Anything else I should hit?

Thanks in advance.