[mythtv-users] IR reccommendations

mythgnomer at rowelab.com mythgnomer at rowelab.com
Thu Feb 19 19:32:04 EST 2004

Hrmm.. Digital cable.. Wouldn't happen to be the motorola DCT2000, would it?
If so, you _may_ be able to change the channel via a serial cable.
Otherwise, you'd need to build / buy a tranceiver or a receiver and
transmitter.. I'd suggest this one, but it's expensive..
http://www.irtrans.de/english/index.htm (it's a bit overkill, too.)

If you want to buy a receiver, the irman is the most sensitive device I've
used. I've also built the transmitter described here
http://www.unusedino.de/lirc/improved_transmitter.html and it works well if
you can put it in front of the cable box.

Problem with doing a receiver and a transmitter separately is getting two
that can share the same serial port, or running two copies of lirc with
hardware on two different ports.. Both a bit of a headache as far as I can
tell.

I ended up not needing to do both, since my backend was too underpowered to
also be a frontend.

http://www.rowerules.com/mythtv

-Scott Rowe