[mythtv-users] [Q] : Why only numeric IP addresses work?

manu eallaud at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 18 17:40:02 EST 2004

	Hi all,
I have a backend/frontend and another remote frontend (using a post
0.14 CVS). These are on a small LAN (the two of them only). If I setup
the addresses numerically (ie master backend 192.168.0.1 and frontend
192.168.0.2) all works. The problem is the frontend is a laptop, so it
is not always plugged on the lan, and when it is not the network is
down and my local frontend do not find the backend anymore (the
192.168.0.1 IP is not valid anymore in that case). So I though let's
put the hostname of the master backend instead (this will get resolved
correctly as localhost via the host file even if the network is down),
but then the remote frontend won't be able to connect to the backend.
So it seems that the setup must be in numeric IP but I don't understand
why this restriction. If someone could enlighten me ;-) And even better
if it was possible to put mmedia.home as the address, that would make
my life easier ;-)
Thanks
BYe
Manu