[mythtv-users] Feature request: realtime commercial flagging

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Tue Feb 17 22:48:27 EST 2004

I did a search and didn't come up with anything interesting, so hopefully
this hasn't been covered before.

I've become quite addicted to the commercial skip function, but it takes a
long time for my lowly Celeron 466 to flag commercials.  It's less than 10%
faster than realtime so, for example, a 7:00-7:30 program isn't ready until
just about 8:00.  It would be nice if the backend could do the commercial
flagging in realtime while the program is recording.  This would make
programs watchable immediately after recording.

Would this be a feasible thing to do?  I realize that if some fileformat(s)
store key information at the end of the file, it may not be possible.  And I
admit that I'm not at all familiar with any of the MythTV file formats.  If
it is feasible, I would be willing to dive into the code and attempt to
submit a patch to make it happen.  I just wanted a sanity check first before
I start trying to implement something that's not possible and/or desirable.

--
It's getting uncommonly easy to kill people in large numbers, and the first
thing a principle does -- if it really is a principle -- is to kill