[mythtv-users] Pro's and Con's of pvr 350s

Hanno Wagner wagner at rince.de
Tue Feb 17 11:54:57 EST 2004

Hiho,

<zitiere wer="Larry Matter">

> Just a few more comments to add to everyone else's.

as I will do ,-)

> I am using the TV-out (s-video) on the EPIA M and I think it is
> quite
> acceptable.  It is not quite as sharp as plain-ole-TV, but perfectly
> adequate for all the reality based TV my wife likes to watch.
> Overscan
> works fine once you reign it in a bit with myth's setup.

I use the tv-out of the pvr-350 and this is very good for TV. I have
the problem that transcoding brings the movies into a format where
the hardware-decoding doesn't work anymore - and the system is too
slow to do it with the cpu of the M2-10K.

I would like to use the S-Video-Output of the pvr-350, but currently
there is no signal coming out, don't know why yet.

> In order to use digital sound I think you might need ALSA.  Just
> something to keep in mind.

I will try Digital Sound, and I have ALSA, but yet I haven't been
able to use it. What do I have to activate in ALSA in order to use
it, does anyone know here?

> Not sure about a hush, but I have heard that the 350 is a little big
> for some cases, whereas the 250 is supposed to be smaller.
> Heat may also be a factor.  I would definitely go for a H
> auppauage capture card rather than the cheaper Aver M179.

Well - the 350 was one centimeter too long for my case (internally),
but I was able to just cut of a corner and it fits quiet nice now
;-)

(btw. pictures and list of items under
http://texte.rince.de/tvpc/TVPC.html, but without the cutted corner
internally ;-)