[mythtv-users] Pro's and Con's of pvr 350s

Larry Matter mythtv2 at matter.net
Tue Feb 17 11:34:04 EST 2004

> I have the following requirements:
> - Monitor-less system (TV out only)
> - Full use of Myth functions (MythGame etc)
> - Digital Audio output (Dolby 5.1)
> - High WAF factor :-)
> - S-Video/Composite input for capture from digibox

Just a few more comments to add to everyone else's.
I am using the TV-out (s-video) on the EPIA M and I think it is quite
acceptable.  It is not quite as sharp as plain-ole-TV, but perfectly
adequate for all the reality based TV my wife likes to watch.  Overscan
works fine once you reign it in a bit with myth's setup.

In order to use digital sound I think you might need ALSA.  Just something
to keep in mind.

Not sure about a hush, but I have heard that the 350 is a little big for
some cases, whereas the 250 is supposed to be smaller.  Heat may also be a
factor.  I would definitely go for a Hauppauage capture card rather than
the cheaper Aver M179.

Now that I have elimated all the skipping/stuttering, my WAF has gone very
positive.  If you could have seen the look on her face when she did her
first commercial skip... :-)

Enjoy!
Larry