[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes / watchdog

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 16 11:15:51 EST 2004

Quoting Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au>:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone developed a script which would start mythbackend and
> automatically restart it when it crashes? And keeps the coredumps?
>
> It crashed part way through a big recording schedule I had set up for
> tonight. Not too impressed. I'm running the CVS code. It's recorded okay
> before. It didn't seem to be doing anything in particular, just
> recording.
>
> Certain MPEG data causes the MPEG decoder to crash. Usually that's the
> frontend, but the same code runs to post-process recordings (for ad
> skipping) and that will crash the whole backend. The ad scanning should
> be done in a separate process so that it can't crash the backend.
>
> High definition digital TV causes no end of confusion to the myth MPEG
> decoder and will usually crash the decoder within minutes. :-(

Do a search in the archives for "restartmythonerror.cron" or "Misc tips and
tricks for RedHat + ivtv users" (or something like that.)

My script currently only restarts the backend if the logs indicate that it died
due to an ivtv I/O error (and reloads the ivtv module also), but it can be
modified to start mythbackend if it dies.

Attached is a script I use to start mythfrontend only if it isn't running
already (Which I currently have bound to be called by irexec when the power
button is hit on one of my remotes).  Easily modifiable to run mythbackend in a
cron job.