[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes / watchdog

Mark mark_kendall at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 16 08:28:49 EST 2004

> Has anyone developed a script which would start mythbackend and
> automatically restart it when it crashes? And keeps the coredumps?

I'm currently using inittab to launch the backend - something someone
mentioned on this list recently. The following entry works for me and
ensures the backend is always up (although it rarely goes down these days
anyway):-

# Run the mythbackend
myth:2345:respawn:/usr/local/bin/mythbackend

Can't comment on retaining coredumps though.

> It crashed part way through a big recording schedule I had set up for
> tonight. Not too impressed. I'm running the CVS code. It's recorded okay
> before. It didn't seem to be doing anything in particular, just
> recording.
>
> Certain MPEG data causes the MPEG decoder to crash. Usually that's the
> frontend, but the same code runs to post-process recordings (for ad
> skipping) and that will crash the whole backend. The ad scanning should
> be done in a separate process so that it can't crash the backend.
>
> High definition digital TV causes no end of confusion to the myth MPEG
> decoder and will usually crash the decoder within minutes. :-(

I'm running a DVB setup with twin Nova-Ts. Using the local frontend viewing
etc is pretty much flawless  now (bar some oddities with aspect ratio that
I'm trying to resolve) and using minimyth on an EPIA M10K is almost
flawless - the OSD causes problems and watching sport/action on the BBC/high
bitrate channels causes prebuffering pauses - have pretty much decided that
the hardware MPEG decoder can't cope with 15MBs and lots of action!

Ignoring the EPIA issues, both frontends will happily watch live tv for
hours on end...

I'd imagine that the root of your problem is signal quality/error rate?
(from memory you're using DVB as well) - are you seeing packet loss errors?

Cheers

Mark