[mythtv-users] Proposed scheduler change - feedback please

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Feb 13 17:17:20 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Jeff wrote:

> Presumably if you've already seen the Smallville episode (recorded it in
> the past) won't Myth skip it because it recognizes it in the database? I
> don't know how much recording history is stored.

You must live in an ideal world :)
If the TV listings are accurate enough then it will catch episodes that
you've already recorded in the past...  of course that relies on accurate
TV listings (which you don't always get) and only catches episodes that
Myth has recorded (so not all the episodes that were shown before you got
a Myth system).  I frequently have to delete very old episodes of SG-1
that were originally shown years ago.

> behavior that is being removed. The behavior that is being removed
> sounds more like you could select "Always record Enterprise instead
> of Smallville" which is what I think should be handled by adjusting the
> priorities.

The problem I see with using only priorities are:

1. You have to constantly juggle the priorities of all the shows

2. I prefer to explicitly tell Myth which show to override and if the
conflict hasn't happened before then I want Myth to highlight the conflict
so I can tell it what to do.  With priorities that won't happen because if
I have 2 shows:
	Show A: low priority
	Show B: high priority
I schedule a 3rd show (C) which conflicts with A.  I decide I want to
record A instead of C, so C gets a lower priority than A.  If a conflict
between C and B then happens, it won't highlight it as a conflict because
C is already lower priority, so it'll dump C without asking me.  When I
get back from work/vacation/whatever I'll see that really important thing
I wanted to record has been missed because I was never asked about it.

3. Handling everything with priorities can't handle all situations.  In
the above scenario, I can't ever tell it that C overrides B but not A.

IMHO if you don't want to use it then don't, but completely removing the
functionality is a bad idea.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/