[mythtv-users] Re:OT: Launch Mythfrontend remotely via ssh

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 11:46:00 EST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 10:04 am, John DeLuca wrote:
Ok....

try this...

ssh from laptop to desktop....

export DISPLAY=locahost:0.0
 then run something like "xterm" to test.
It should popup an xterm on your backend. This worked fine for me.. I am at
work so i dont have myth to test it with.

However....you may be better off setting up your desktop to autologin a user
with gdm/kdm and start mythfrontend as part of the Session file.  I use gdm
and BlackBox for my myth backend.  Whenever my frontend hangs (usually only
if I am messing around with something :) ) I can ssh in ...killall
mythfrontend... then X restarts and reloads mythfrontend.

Check the list as a lot of folks are doing this...or I can send you my
BlackBox gdm session script.....