[mythtv-users] RE: MythTV Webmin module - anyone interested?

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Thu Feb 12 16:56:10 EST 2004

Steven Cruysberghs wrote:

>I realy don't see the need for this module.
>I also have a backend system in the basement. When I have to do "major"
>adjustments in mythsetup I start up a vnc server (should also work
>without X if you have compiled to use the framebuffer and works over
>slow connections). For small adjustments (channels, ...) I just edit the
>database using phpmyadmin or I use mythweb settings page for channels,
>keybindings, ...). I use this (phpmyadmin) to change frontend settings
>too since I don't have a keyboard connected to my frontend either.
>
>I think building a sepparate webmin module would just create another
>interface to maintain without real added value.
>Adding settings to mythweb would make more sense to me.
>
>Just my ....(currency conversion problem.. :-)
>
>Steven

I'll tell you the need.  Imagine this scenario (this actually happened 2
weeks ago)

I upgraded my fileserver to Fedora Core at the weekend.  whilst I was
there I fitted and plugged in my spare BT848 card into the box (for a
secondary backend.)  I didn't have time to setup Mythtv there and then
due to family commitments.

Next time I had spare time at work, I downloaded and installed
mythtv-suite on the fileserver using apt-get (and Jarods excellant
guide.)  Up until this point I was able to leave things running in a
window on my terminal - checking back and periodically entering commands
as the installation proceeded.

Here comes the tricky part - I needed to run mythtvsetup on the main
backend to enter the IP addresses.  When I ran it, it took about 5-10
minutes to display.  Full Screen.  Switching out of the application
caused it to refresh - another couple of minutes to display.  It was
painful.  It also stopped me working.  It also was plainly obvious to
anyone walking by what I was doing.

Now - you could say that I shouldn't have been doing that there.  You
could say that I should have waited until I got home.  You are probably
right.  However, for the sake of a text based interface to setup, or a
webmin module, this process would have been alot easier.

Whilst MythTV is an excellant package, and I love it to pieces, I can
honestly say that I find the setup window one of the most annoying
things.  Yes, I don't have to use it much, and yes, I am whinging about
it - and yes, I probably deserve to be flamed out of existance - but,
several people have mentioned their frustration in the setup window, and
someone has taken the time and the effort to help addressing this
issue.  Issac has said he doesn't want this to change, repeatedly - but
I, for one, disagree.

Issac - please can we have a text based setup module?  Or web based on
another port? Or something that doesn't require X?

Thanks,

Richie