[mythtv-users] old kernel support and cle266 (was: Lirc - ARGH!)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 11 04:45:06 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:59:53AM -0600, Gabe Knuth wrote:
> [root at localhost]# apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$MYKERNEL
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
>
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>
> E: Couldn't find package lirc-kmdl-2.4.20-8

As Jarod wrote, that kernel is not supported anymore. In general for
older RH I support two kernels, one from RH and one modified ATrpms
version (with i2c/v4l,xfs etc.). 2.4.20-8 has also some known security
issues.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:55:44AM -0800, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> His kernel is 2.4.20-8, which is the kernel shipped on the Red Hat
> Linux 9 isos (non-boxed version; that had 2.4.20-6 kernels). He's using
> that because it allows him to use VIA's cle266 binary drivers. The
> corresponding kernel-source rpm should be installed from the discs.

That is of course unfortunate. Can't these binary drivers be used with
later kernels? For example with a wrapper like nvidia does?

With a strong mythtv community as it has evolved, shouldn't it be
possible to post requests to VIA to fix this? I see that they already
allow vendors/resellers to use the code, and they do seem to try to
build the modules for a lot of different distributions.

After all, they want to sell something, so they should make usage a
bit easier ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de