[mythtv-users] Lirc - ARGH!

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 11 03:55:44 EST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 12:11 AM, Emmanuel Hislen wrote:

> I think Axel just posted a mail about a new lirc rpm, did you see it?

I don't think Axel builds kernel module rpms for that kernel anymore,
but I could be mistaken.

> Anyway If you want to compile it yourself, there should be no problem.
> I would get something more recent than 0.6.6 though.

Actually, you MUST get something newer than 0.6.6 to use the PVR-x50's
remote. Support isn't there until the 0.7 pre releases.

> I have 0.7.0pre2:
>
> wget
> http://lirc.sourceforge.net/software/snapshots/lirc-0.7.0pre2.tar.bz2
>
> I believe you need to have compiled your kernel once so that lirc can
> compile properly.

No, you really only need your kernel config file in place.

> Use the source you got from ATrpm for your kernel. In my case:
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2163.nptl_32.rhfc1.at/

His kernel is 2.4.20-8, which is the kernel shipped on the Red Hat
Linux 9 isos (non-boxed version; that had 2.4.20-6 kernels). He's using
that because it allows him to use VIA's cle266 binary drivers. The
corresponding kernel-source rpm should be installed from the discs.

> At least I would make sure I have done:
>
> make oldconfig (if there is no .config in
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2163.nptl_32.rhfc1.at/, get it from /boot.)
> make dep
>
> If lirc still doesn't compile, then go ahead and compile the kernel:
>
> make bzImage

Copying /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/configs/kernel-2.4.20.<arch>.config to
/usr/src/linux-2.4/.config is all that is absolutely necessary. I know,
because I've done it. ;-)

> Gabe Knuth wrote:
>
>> Ok, so I’ve followed Jarod’s HowTo and it has worked
>> beautifully…except for the LIRC part. When I run “apt-get install
>> lirc-kmdl-$MYKERNEL”, I am given the following error:
>>
>> ------------
>>
>> [root at localhost]# apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$MYKERNEL
>>
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>>
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>>
>> E: Couldn't find package lirc-kmdl-2.4.20-8

Yeah, I don't think that package gets built at all. Processor and time
constraints, since Axel builds soooo many kernels and kernel modules
already...

>> Consider me baffled. Do I need to upgrade the kernel (please say no)

No. =)

>> or is there something I can do to get the right version.

Grab the lirc-0.7.0pre2 source and compile it against your kernel. My
doc has a brief little section on what is necessary.

>> Can I cheat and just say that $MYKERNEL = something that exists
>> already?

No.

>> Sorry for all the pastes, but I’m just grasping now. I’ve gone just a
>> tad beyond my linux abilities here, although I’m learning a lot
>> (especially while trying to get XMLTV to work without using apt-get!)

Heh, yeah, that's an ugly one... apt-get really hides how twisted those
deps are (I remember installing all those deps by hand myself quite
some time ago -- ouch).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...