[mythtv-users] PVR350 TVOUT Working!! But Quick XFree86 Question

Tony Rein trein at one.net
Sun Feb 8 17:46:54 EST 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 05:10 pm, Torsten Schenkel wrote:
> Am So, den 08.02.2004 schrieb Scott Francis um 14:54:
> > First off, I want to give my EXTREME thanks to Jarod, Axel, and Issac and
> > all the ivtv folks for making a truly awesome product.  I had attempted
> > to get everything working in the .12 days of Myth and had tons of issues
> > so I tabled it for a few releases.  The wife went out of town for a few
> > weeks to visit her mother in the Caribbean and I figured it was the
> > perfect time to give it another shot (especially after all the progress
> > that I've seen being made on the PVR350 support with TV-OUT).
> >
> > So I followed the guides and got everything working yesterday.  Must say
> > that everything worked like a champ and now I'm in the fun period of
> > "tweaking".
> >
> > The major issue that I currently have is my display settings on my TV.
> > Admittedly I am not the worlds foremost expert on XFree86Config, so if
> > you all could help me a bit that would be great.  The issue that I'm
> > having is that the display going thru the TV-OUT is just a little big
> > bigger than what my TV is showing.  So the tops and sides are not
> > properly being shown.  This is causing an issue in that I can't see if my
> > checkbox is selected or not in a lot of the menus.  I'm sure it's a
> > simple "tweak this value" until it looks correct type of thing, but I'm
> > not sure what and where to tweak.  My current XFree86Config file is a
> > cut-and-paste directly from the IVTV Wiki TVOutHowTo guide.
> >
> > If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be extremely grateful.
> > My goal is to have the system fully configured before the wife gets home
> > so I can go into "brag and showoff mode" :)  Looking forward to some of
> > that WAF-loving.
> >
> > Thanks in advance everyone...and once again major kudos on a top-notch
> > product with amazing documentation (especially so considering its an open
> > source).
>
> The way your TV shows the screen is as it's supposed to be, viewable
> area of the TV is only about 644x400 (for NTSC).
>
> Go into the configuration screen "appearance" and set your GUI size and
> offset accordingly.
>
> Don't ever mess with the modeline! There's only two modelines the PVR
> will work with, PAL and NTSC.
>
> Torsten

I had this problem also. I played with the settings for a while as Torsten
suggests, but I didn't really understand what I was doing, and I couldn't
make it work that way.

Finally, I looked at my XF86Config file and decided to play with the line:

Option "TVOverScan" "0.6"

This was set to 0.6 per the example in Jarod's setup guide. I tried several
different values, restarting X after each change, and got the best result
(although not perfect) with

Option  "TVOverScan" "0.5"

Good luck.

--Tony