[mythtv-users] Help me size next cpu, Athlon 2800+ MP enough for high quality/filters?

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sun Feb 8 15:47:31 EST 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> D Banerjee wrote:
>
>> I really want to get a board with 64/66 pci or at least integrated
>> gigabit,
>> which means getting an Intel CSA board or waiting for the nforce3 250.
>>

> If you're worried about CPU usage on the record, just use a PVR250 then
> filter on output / transcode.  I've recorded a show, while watching a
> recording with the kerneldeint filter running and a show being
> transcodeded to MPEG4 at 3500bits/high quality/4MV and had PLENTY of cpu
> left.   I only use a single AMD 2500+.

One note on Gigabit.  Cheaper gigabit may = huge processor usage.  I've
used Linksys gigabit cards before (I think they were linksys...) that
were dirt cheap.  Sure, they push the data fairly well, but processor
usage when moving a file was 80%+ on BOTH systems, just to do a file
copy operation in Windows.  I have zero Linux experience with gigabit.