[mythtv-users] X-less backend?

Scott LeBrun slebrun at scopus.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 5 19:05:41 EST 2004

Hi guys.

I think we've gone off on a tangent here. I was originally referring to
a backend without X installed at all, rather than just switching X off
after initially setting up the backend MySQL database.

If no one has any better suggestions, I'm willing to create a Webmin
module to setup the backend. It will be my first webmin project, but it
shouldn't be too difficult. I think it'll turn into a damn useful
project anyway :-)

Scott

>>> papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu 6/02/2004 10:12:36 am >>>
	Also remember that if you enable/disabled any services (e.g.
MySQL) for
runlevel5, you didn't necessarily enable/disable them for runlevel3.
When I
want to boot without X, I transmogrify runlevel5 to be sans X by
commenting out
the last line in /etc/inittab from

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
#x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

'/sbin/telinit Q' to make init re-parse (or just reboot), and *poof* X
goes
away with no tweaking of services.

Don't do *any* other modifications to that file, however.  Linux
crashes and
burns pretty horibly if init goes TU.

-Cory

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, John P. Poet wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Andrew Dodd wrote:
>
> > Quoting Scott LeBrun <slebrun at scopus.vic.edu.au>:
> >
> > > I'm setting up a brand new system using separate backend and
frontend
> > > machines. The backend will never run any X apps at all. Is it
possible
> > > to setup the backend without X? It seems that all is necessary is
> > > create some sort of SQL import file and whack it into MySQL.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on what exactly is required?
>

> After you have myth configured (via mythsetup?), you can configure
the
> machine to no longer auto load X.  Change the following line in
> "/etc/inittab" from:
>
> id:5:initdefault:

> id:3:initdefault:
>
> Run level `5' tells the system to auto start X.  Run level `3' will
not.
> With it configured this way, you can still start X by hand, by
issuing the
> "startx" command.
>

> > Someone sorely needs to rip out ALL dependencies on X from the
backend.

> > With all versions of MythTV that I have used so far, if you start
the backend
> > from a shell or terminal within X, mythbackend will be linked to
that X session.
> >  i.e. if the X server dies or is restarted (user logs out, for
example),
> > mythbackend will die with some sort of ICE error.
>

> True.  That is why I start mythbackend before going into X.
Actually, at
> this point I have mythbackend started automatically during the boot
process.
> Easy to do using these instructions:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.11
>

> John