[mythtv-users] Can Myth be all I want it to be?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 16 20:40:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:32:46PM -0500, Mark L. Cukier top-posted (grr):
> You might find the pundit a little small for all that hardware. 1 3.5"
> drive, 1 5.25" drive, scant PCI options... it's an attractive case but
> not for the workhorse you're looking to build. A better option might be
> this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-024&depa=1
>
> It has a really slick look, and fits perfectly into MY hometheatre
> setup. (beware, it may be a little deep for some setups). It has nice
> construction, and plenty of room for exapansion.

That's only a MicroATX case, though, which limits your motherboard choices
pretty severely.  A little more money gets you this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-142&depa=1

I have one, with an FIC AU13 inside (six PCI slots ought to be enough for
anything :-) ).  It's quiet, and the 120mm fan right behind the HD cage
keeps your drives cool.  I have mine on a shelf above the TV.  If I need to
do something inside the computer, the lid is held on with two thumbscrews
and is easily removed with the computer in its normal place (just need a
stepladder to see inside).

> I'm still struggling to get the DVI output of my nVidia GeForce FX5200
> working... however, I've heard that many can.

Mine was a simple matter of plugging it in (while the computer was on, no
less) and rebooting.  (I swapped out an LCD with a VGA input for an LCD with
a DVI input.  It worked fine with the 720p modeline used by the previous
LCD, but it works better (native resolution) with the 1280x768 at 60Hz modeline
I generated a few minutes later.)

  _/_