[mythtv-users] MythTV with Pentium II 350 MHz?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Aug 21 16:08:05 EDT 2004

>> I have a retired Pentium II 350 system - would it be
>> powerful enough to run a MythTV setup (using a PVR
>> 250/350)? From what I've gathered, an Athlon 2000+
>> seems to be about the least powerful system that works
>> well.
>>

> Not a chance it will work but it will make a nice IPcop firewall for your
> home network :)

 	I wouldn't be quite to quick to immediately dismiss it.  You would
(obviously) need a PVR-[23]50 for recording.  For playing, a PII-350 should be
able to decode a DVD-quality MPEG2 file using 60-75% of its CPU, provided it's
got a video card that does XV.  It doesn't take more than some DMA to record
using a PVR-[23]50.

 	Now, whether or not commercial flagging in the background would be
sufficiently nice to not cause it to skip while playing is another matter...

 	In short, with a hardware capture card, it might be possible if
everything else is just right (XV vid card, good DMA, commercial flagging
sufficiently nice, no deinterlacing, etc).  It'd make a find backend by itself.

-Cory