[mythtv-users] nuv->avi possibilities?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Aug 19 12:49:59 EDT 2004

>     IIRC, there is absolutely NO extra data in mythtv's .nuv files
> recorded from ivtv than what was spewed from the card in the first
> place.

That's because they're not nuv files.  They've just been named as such.

>  It's just a legacy issue from mythtv recording NUV from
> bttv-based cards.

Probably, yes.  It's a LOT easier to code file interaction when you
don't have to check "if (file_extist("$file.mpg")) ... else if
(file_exists("$file.nuv")) ..." and can just assume.

Then again, I personally think it would be nice to avoid user confusion
and use nuv or mpg as is appropriate for the file.

> It'd be nice to identify by the filename what type of video
> it is, e.g:
> *.rtjpg        <- rtjpeg bttv
> *.mpeg4        <- mpeg4 bttv or post-transcoded *.mpeg2        <- ivtv
> recorded MPEG2
> *.mpeg2ts    <- pcHDTV streams

Those wouldn't be accurate representations.  The software-encoded files
ARE nuv files, not "rtjpeg" or "mpeg4" files.  The video inside of them
might be one or the other, but nuv represents the container format
(which contains meta data, etc).  The mpg stuff is a little more
confusing since mpg represents video and audio codecs, as well as a
container format.

Though as I said, I'm all for naming the mpeg-based recordings .mpg
since it'd clear up a heck of a lot of user confusion on the issue.