[mythtv-users] new install, keeps freezing

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 00:27:57 EDT 2004

skd5aner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I’m a newb at all of this, so bare with me if you could! I have been
> able to work my way to the moment of truth of launching myth for the
> first time. Now when I launch it, it’ll freeze up my entire machine
> within 5 minutes, no matter what I’m doing: watching live TV, changing
> settings, trying to record, etc. I really don’t have any idea where to
> start to look for problems. I’m using an nforce2 board with 2 pvr-250s
> (which I’m not entirely sure I was able to setup 100% correct), and
> 0.15.1 on Debian with a 2.4 kernel. Any clues on where to start or
> what to look for?
>
> Thanks!!!!!!
>
> Matt

I've found great instability on my nForce2 mobo (AU13) due to the "CPU
Disconnect" feature. If your boards BIOS has an option to shut it off,
do so. If not, get the athcool package and do "athcool stat" do see the
state of that setting. If it is on, do "athcool off" and see how your
system runs. If it is the cure, then you need to autostart athcool in
"reversed" mode by editing the /etc/defaults/athcool file.

I also found "noapm" on the bootline seems to have fixed an infrequent
trancoding lockup.

May not solve your problem, but you can find out quickly either way.

Tim