[mythtv-users] Help with tv out on nvidia card.

James J Tucker jamesjtucker at comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 14:26:05 EDT 2004

Ok, i know i am by no means the first person to ask this, but i hope someone
can assist here.
I have a Geforce 2 in my myth box right now, I also have a Geforce 4 that i
*COULD* swap out, if the general agreement here is that i should do it for
better picture quality. I have never really had luck with hardware swaps and
redhat, however, so thats why i am reluctant to do that.
Anyway, i am trying to get this infernal machine to use my svideo out. When
i D/C the monitor and start the machine up, i get the post and boot seq on
the tv (washed out and hard to read, but passable). When X loads, i lose
everything.
This bings me to my Xorg.conf file. With Xfree86 all i had to do was put the
option tvout lines in there and wham! tv becomes the monitor. I cant get
Xorg to play nice. And as i said in an earlier post, i would crawl back here
and ask for help when i had admitted defeat.
I know there are a number of different sections that are relevant, IE
"Screen" "Monitor" "server layout" "Device" etc, but i am not sure which
ones are the ones i need and what they do.
The end goal for this machine is to have the tv hooked up as the primary
monitor, and i will vnc into it to take care of stuff, but i want to be able
to hook up a monitor whenever i need to.

So, please if anyone could  take a look at this stuff, it would be greatly
appreciated!
Stuff from my xorg.conf:
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier     "single head configuration"
 Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
<removed for brevity>

Section "Module"
 Load  "v4l"
 Load  "dbe"
 Load  "extmod"
 Load  "fbdevhw"
 Load  "glx"
 Load  "record"
 Load  "freetype"
 Load  "type1"
 Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
<removed for brevity>

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier   "Monitor0"
 VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName    "NEC MultiSync E500"
 DisplaySize  280 210
 HorizSync    31.0 - 69.0
 VertRefresh  55.0 - 120.00
 Option     "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Videocard0"
# Driver      "nv"
 Driver "nvidia"
 VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
 BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS (generic)"
 Option "NvAGP" "1"
 Option "DigitalVibrance" "0"
 Option "TransparentIndex" "0"
 Option "CursorShadowAlpha" "64"
 Option "CursorShadowXOffse" "4"
 Option "CursorShadowYOffset" "2"
 Option "NoLogo" "TRUE"
 Option "Twinview" "TRUE"
 Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
 Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30"
 Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
 Option "MetaModes" "1024x768 , 800x600"
 Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT , TV"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"
 Device     "Videocard0"
 Monitor    "Monitor0"
 DefaultDepth     24
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport   0 0
  Depth     24
  Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
 EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
 Group        0
 Mode         0666
EndSection
The Twinview part of the Device section is something i was testing out,
previously there was a section in there that looked like so:
Driver "nvidia"

Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "DigitalVibrance" "0"
Option "TransparentIndex" "0"
Option "CursorShadowAlpha" "64"
Option "CursorShadowXOffse" "4"
Option "CursorShadowYOffset" "2"
Option "NoLogo" "TRUE"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

I made the conf files with some online perl script tool that i have had luck
with in the past.
Thanks to all who are still reading.
-Jim